Help for CPP and CPA students

This page will help CPA and CPP students with registration, enrolment, and academic advisement issues.

The following are on-page links to detailed and customized information:

You can also use your browser's Find/Search functionality to look for content on this page. Simply press "CTRL+F" and type the keyword for the help you want.

Contact Info CPA

Contact Info CPP

Seneca and the School of SDDS provide help for our students in person and with online resourcesHow we help our students

We encourage and recommend that our students use the online resources as it has constanty availability as long as you have an internet connection and a computer. If the online resources do not help you, please contact Carol Ann David, the student advisor for the BSD program. 

You should request help as soon as possible if you think the outline resources are not enough to help resolve your problem, especially if it concerns your academic records and/or standings.

Job duties of our support staff

The following section outlines the duties of our support staff regarding helping students.

Program coordinator

A program coordinator is a faculty member who teaches in the program and also performs coordinator duties. The coordinator duties include curriculum development, helping students, academic counselling and advisement to students, and other services to the academic community and the public.

It's important to know that the time available from the program coordinator for helping students is very limited. Typically, the coordinator works on a queue of requests. We recommend that students send their help request to the coordinator via an email to the program coordinator's email address. Please do not expect instant access or instant service when you contact your program coordinator. Drop-in visits are sometimes possible, but typically only when the request queue is empty.

Student advisor

A student advisor is a staff member, who performs advisement duties. The advisement duties include helping students, and some academic counseling and advisement to students.  Although the student advisor has more time available for helping students than a program coordinator, it's important to know that a student advisor is in charge of helping multiple students across different academic programs, therefore there are times where she could be busy as many students might need help at the same time in a particular week. As a result, it is necessary to be patient in proceeding to contact the student advisor and working with them to resolve your request. Typically, the student advisor works on a queue of requests, but has some time each day for drop-in visits. We recommend that students send their help request to the student advisor by (Seneca) email.


In the School of ICT office, there are others (e.g. reception staff) who can help answer questions and provide varying levels of assistance to students.

Email is the best way to get help

As you learned above, we recommend that students send their help request by email. This is the best way to make your request known. Why?

  • It's convenient for you, the student. You can create and send a request any time, from anywhere, on any device. 
  • Your coordinator or advisor may be able to completely resolve the issue without a meeting. However, if a meeting is necessary, it will be arranged. 
  • It's fair, to all students in a program. The emailed help requests become a work queue, and are handled in sequence. 

Please send your email from your Seneca email account ( Please include your student number.  

Important times regarding academic terms

Before the academic term begins:
If you wish to contact the program coordinator or student advisor before the new academic term begins, please do so. Requests are handled in a queue, many of which come from email, and your request will be handled as soon as possible. 

Academic advisement days - the week before an academic term starts
These days are typically reserved for appointments with students who need academic counselling or advice. Some of these issues arise from academic performance in the previous academic term. Other appointments are set for students whose emailed help requests could not be resolved without a meeting.


All Students

Please read carefully, most situations are covered by this document. Ian is not available until August 30th. You will need an appointment to see Ian. Follow the instructions and send Ian an email on or after August 28th if appropriate, emails sent before that date will not be read. Most business can be resolved via email, if Ian needs to meet with you he will give you an appointment.


Current Students

Term activation

If you are in CPA/CPAC and are in or have completed your 6th semester or higher, or if you are a CPP student and are in or have completed your 4th semester or higher, you will need to be re-activated to continue.

A CPA or CPP student is normally "activated" for each academic term. This status enables the student to enrol in courses in the next term.
If you cannot enrol in courses, check your status in the Student Center app:

  1. On the "academics" tab, click your program, and the desired term 
  2. Look for "Eligible to Enroll: Yes"

If the desired academic term is not on the list, or "Eligible to Enroll" is "No", then check one more thing: Have you paid all fees for the current/past term? The system will block future enrolment if fees are owing. However, if fees are paid, then, contact Hans Heim, and ask to be activated.

The burden of eligibility for “early” enrolment is fully on the student. A student must 1) be activated, 2) pay some fees by July 14, and 3) reply to the “early enrolment” email. If a student doesn’t complete this process, we can’t help. The student must simply wait for the “open enrolment” date-and-time (August 10, 8:00am).

Open enrolment remains “open” until the end of the first week of classes in the new academic term.

If you are unsuccessful in completing your timetable, please keep trying after August 10th. The situation changes constantly as seats are opened in classes, and/or students change timetables. If you do not obtain a seat in a required course, contact Ian Tipson, on or after August 30th for assistance with 2nd semester or higher courses. Do not contact anyone else about this, as we do not help with timetables until August 30th under any circumstances.

Prerequisites will not be overridden under any circumstances, so please don’t even ask.

If you are a returning student who needs to repeat a 1st semester course, please contact Brenda Baker on or after August 11th.


New Students

Your timetable will be generated automatically and available in your Student Centre. This process is run several times during the month of August, so you may not see a timetable until close to the end of August. If you have not received a timetable by August 30th, please contact Brenda Baker.

Please note that we are full and waitlisted. We cannot accommodate requests for timetable changes because all sections are full, even if it appears that a section has seats available, it probably doesn’t, your Student Centre view does not give you the same information as we see. Do not attempt t change your timetable, you may be able to drop a course, but you will not be able to replace it and Brenda will not be happy if she must put a course back on your timetable.


Transfer Requests

If you wish to transfer between programs, please fill out a Transfer Request form and submit it to Registration. Requests are evaluated after final grades are available during the Promotion Meetings which take place on Aug, 22nd and 23rd.


Work integrated learning (formerly known as co-op) Inquiries

Interested in getting started with the work integrated learning process in the fall term? Read this notice for more information. 


Withdrawn Students

If you were withdrawn from a diploma program for any reason, you may contact Ian Tipson on or after August 30 to discuss your situation. Do not come to Ian’s office without an appointment, he conducts most business via email, and will give you an appointment as necessary.


Leave of Absence

International students, go to the international office in the SEQ building and get a leave of absence form. Make sure it has the correct signatures, and bring it to the SICT office, see Hans Heim.

Remember to check your transcript as soon as it is available, if there is a problem with continuing your program, it will be listed as a comment on your transcript.